Hi, I’m Alyson
I'm a content marketer and social media manager, and the owner of Starling Social.
I've been publishing content online since 2003, and my love of writing combined with my obsession with how we communicate led me to found my business in 2014.
You can read my thoughts on my blog, which features everything from posts about how to use and leverage social media for business and personal use, my life in Winnipeg, internet culture, and more. Some of my writing influences are Charles Bukowski, Douglas Coupland and Michael Ondaatje.
Some things I'm proud of
- I was a keynote speaker at TEDxWinnipeg 2017.
- I hosted a sold-out lunch and learn about using personal branding to land your dream job.
- I presented on using content marketing to increase sales at the Chill Out! Digital Workplace Summit
- I'm an annual speaker at Red River College's Creative Communications program.
- I was awarded a 2015 TechFutures Grant from the Province of Manitoba for my tech-driven business idea
- I'm the lead contributor to the MTS Business Hub, which was recently named #22 of the top 100 influential business blogs by BizHumm.com
- My blog articles are regularly republished on Mytoba.ca, a grassroots news organization for local news, sports and entertainment.
- My article about my experience at the CEO Sleepout was republished on the Corydon Times website.
- I was a panelist at the MBlog 2014 conference
- I write album reviews and conduct interviews for The Spill Magazine
- I was featured on Shaw TV as one of Winnipeg's Hottest Bloggers
- My post about my love of Winnipeg was featured as the Blog of the Week and published in the Winnipeg Free Press
- I was a volunteer on Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman's Social Media team
"Restaurants are hard to work with. We are at our busiest when most are ready to relax with friends and family, the smallest glitch can mess with best of plans. Most of all they are very personal. Working someone who can not only hear our unique voice, but is able to project it confidently, we have been able to reach a much larger and more diverse audience than I ever believed possible.
Working with Alyson has been an amazing experience, she has handled all the craziness will style and grace."
- Jennifer Strom, Owner, Trails North Grill
"Having been a fan of Alyson's online presence for some time, I recently engaged her services to support a new client project; directing the online copy and social media feeds for the new venture. So far the engagement has gone well and I would not hesitate to recommend Alyson to peers and other clients. She's an efficient practitioner who really understands these important marketing elements."
-Drew Gourdie, Founder, The Rivoli Group
"Alyson is a reliable, creative and resourceful writer. I know I can always count on her to hit the mark and consistently provide polished, well-researched written work. It's been a joy working with her over the past four years, and I know that she will always shine!"
- Mark Glucki, Wonderlab Media
"Alyson's work never fails to exceed expectations. I know I can always count on her to hit the mark and consistently provide polished, well-researched written work. It's been a joy working with her over the past four years, and I know that she will always shine!"
Stephen Lussier, Editor, The Spill Magazine
"Alyson delivers excellent copywriting and editing services for us and for our clients. She is always professional and a pleasure to work with.
Chris Karasewich, Managing Partner, ASAP Marketing
Alyson Shane is the internet. I want to be her when I grow up
- Kieran Moolchan, Content Strategist & Blogger